Saturday, February 24, 2007

Creating a niche

Living in a rural central MN community, it is difficult to find a part-time job that will allow me to do something I enjoy, meet and interact with people and make a little spending money. After a year of looking and interviewing, my husband and I discussed taking a passion of mine and making it a paying proposition.
Currently, I am researching, reading and signing up for online wine courses through Wine Spectator, in the hopes of marketing myself as a freelance wine consultant for local businesses.
We had started a small wine club with some acquaintances, and I found that I enjoyed helping people get interested in wines and food pairings. I hope to find a simple business proposal so I am able to approach these business and make myself a valuable asset that will result in some part-time employment.
I am open to all suggestions on what to read, where to find more online courses (enrolling in a college out of town is not an option at this time), or any links that will further my education.