Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Bridges

After Sunday's collapse of a section of the Bay Bridge between Oakland and San Francisco, I started thinking about bridges. Not just because we are planning to be in San Francisco at this time next week or what it will mean to our trip. But, what bridges signify in our lives.

We are so interconnected to everything on our planet, either by the human genome or interdependence. Our physical bridges bring us from one isolated point to another with relative ease. However, it is our emotional and spiritual bridges that keep us apart. Intolerance, hatred, racism, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, religion, politics.... The list keeps growing instead of shrinking.

Whatever journey we are on, the road we have chosen may just be leading us to a bridge and it is up to us to weigh our options and pick the higher road.

My wine journey has been filled with speed bumps lately, and I hope that the examples of alternative thinking or routes that I witness in San Francisco, help to lead me in the right direction.


"Good wine is a necessity of life for me." Thomas Jefferson