Monday, June 2, 2008

Give Us An Inch

Once again, our little neck of the woods is in a drought. We were fortunate to miss the hail, high winds and even tornadoes that hit other parts of MN.

B.J. Thomas wrote about raindrops that kept falling on his head.

But there's one thing I know

The blues they send to greet me won't defeat me

It won't be long 'til happiness steps up to greet me

Listening to and smelling the rain through a window screen in the summer is one of my favorite things.

Oscar Hammerstein II penned and Julie Andrews sang of some other favorites:

Raindrops on roses,

And whiskers on kittens,

Bright copper kettles,

And warm woolen mittens,

Brown paper packages,

Tied up with strings,

These are a few of my favorite things



When the hot or dry weather makes you thirsty, try another favorite of ours, a vodka still works cocktail.


1 teaspoon Angostura bitters

2 shots chilled vodka

6 to 8 ounces ginger ale


Place bitters in a tall glass and combine with vodka using a cocktail spoon. Add ice to glass then fill with ginger ale and stir again. Serve with a straw.