Thursday, January 24, 2008

No Photo Available

I finally decided to list my real name on this blog, but don't look for my picture anytime soon.

Ever since I can remember, when a camera comes out, I either hide or run. Which brings me to the subject of what constitutes beauty.

The topic of beauty has elicited debate from an amazing array of thinkers, where the sensory, psychological, historical, theoretical, philosophical, political and ethical all find a place. But how do we know beauty? Sometimes it is precisely that which escapes you.

In the middle of the eighteenth century, the Scottish philosopher David Hume wrote: ‘Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them.’

Perceiving beauty is intrinsically enjoyable. Like kindness or goodness in a person, it inspires love and admiration.

So, although there is no photo available, think of me as a person trying to be good and kind, who finds enjoyment in nature and the fruits of the vine.